![]() |
| link to blanket stitch instructions included below |
This Christmas I made each of my kids a fleece throw. Each one is made of two panels of fleece, each two yards long. I place them wrong side together, pin (actually I use paper clips to hold them together but that's just between you and me). To connect the two panels I use embroidery floss and blanket stitch through both panels all the way around.
Some people like to use an embroidery floss that matches the fleece and doesn't show. Personally I like to use fun coordinating colors that do show. If I am going to sit there with a needle and thread and stitch almost 24 feet then I want someone to notice it. ... but that's just me. I'm an exhibitionist, well a "stitch exhibitionist" anyway.
I love this project and I tell the kids that each blanket is a hug. When they wrap up in their blanket and feel warm and cozy I want them to remember how much I love them and how important they are to me.
Handmade gifts and crafts are my form of meditation. There are so many fleeces available at the fabric stores it is easy to find a print that fits everyone's personality. I know who I am making the blanket for and with each stitch I sew my love for them into the project. Totally cool, in my opinion. Giving them away brings me joy. I always look forward to the next one.
A great blog for a blanket stitch tutorial and many other stitches is called Stitch School. I love this blog. Even a "non-perfectionist" like me can understand the instructions. :)
http://stitchschool.blogspot.com/2009/12/blanket-stitch.html

No comments:
Post a Comment